Took Advantage Of The Nice Day And Did A Sled WOD

Last night was a fairly mild night by December standards. The y day started out cloudy with a low in the mid-30s. The clouds hung on until about noon as the temperature slowly crept up into the low fifties. Finally, the sun came out, and it fully cleared up. The temperature jumped quickly to near sixty with full sunshine.

When we first saw that today should be a mild and sunny day, we were pretty convinced that we either wanted to take the sled out or go geocaching. We had some things to do around here, so we decided to do the sled WOD.

The WOD was much harder than we expected. We had done this one as a partner WOD where we took turns going for my thousand WOD over the summer. I knew the rest would be a bit off with us taking turns, but it’s a fun way to make the WOD partner one, so we could do it together. Since we were pushing the sled, we were supposed to do ten rounds of fifty meters and then rest thirty seconds. It would take me less than thirty seconds for the fifty meters, and Molly a little over that.

It was taking me closer to a minute to do the push, and it just wasn’t adding up. I’d done this WOD before and was right around thirty seconds a lap. My legs are feeling really beat up from doing the bike, new stimulus and shit, so I expected to be a little slower but not a full thirty seconds. I was thinking maybe five seconds.

Finally, either right before or after the sixth round when we were well beyond the goal time, I took a look at the WOD thinking maybe it was eight rounds instead of ten. I had to see what gives. Well, imagine my surprise when I noticed that it said fitly meters pushing of a hundred pulling. We’d been pushing it a hundred meters. That certainly would explain why it was taking about twice as long as I had expected per round. Oops. We adjusted our distance after that, and it seemed much more manageable. So, we over performed today.

We made it a partner WOD in a fun way. Since I needed more weight than Molly did, I through just a forty-five pound plate on the sled for here, which was a good weight. She then hopped on top of the plate and rode the sled for her rest while I was pushing it. I think she was having fun.

At the end of the day, we got an excellent workout in. Even if it wasn’t exactly as programmed, it wore out my legs and put my heart rate through the roof. It’s also better than doing nothing. Today just happened to be one of those days when I remember the WOD wrong. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does happen, I pay for it. I love these sled WODs. It was also great to get the chance to do a partner WOD outside in the sunshine. We couldn’t have asked for a better weather day to get an out outdoors WOD in.