Fitness and everything else

It's Hotter Than Hell Today But I still Did Okay In The Garage

Today It’s hotter than Hell. It was about 90 outside when I went out into the garage gym to do my lifts. I turned the air conditioner on a little while before I went out and even though it didn’t cool it off that much it took the edge off the heat and reduced the humidity a bit.

I think our low last night was only 74 according to our cheap-ass thermometer. I should get another weather station sometime before winter. The humidity has been in full fuck you mode the past few days. I have been feeling like I can’t cool or drink enough water, no matter how hard I try. That’s not to say using the air conditioner in the bedroom isn’t helping, but that’s the only time I’ve been getting any relief from the heat. I don’t understand how anyone can like this weather.

I began the day’s lifts with some light front squats at 190 pound today. They felt great, even better than Monday’s. It’s definitely safe to say now that whatever little thing I had going on with my ankle was, it wasn’t a big deal, as it feels perfectly normal now. I got through the front squats easily and worked pretty fast at them. I wound up adding in two extra sets again since they felt so good for a total of five sets of five at the 190 pounds. Front squats are one of my favorite lifts.

Bench press was up next, and these were feeling a little tougher than they should have felt. I did three sets of five at 170 pounds. During these, it felt like I was favoring one side more than the other. I got through the sets with a fairly short rest period, but I just felt a little off with them. No big deal as it’s really not one of my favorite lifts anyway or one that I am really comfortable with.

Finally, for my strength this morning, I did my good mornings for three sets of ten at 115 pounds. These felt excellent today and fairly light compared to last time I did them last week. Last week, when I performed my good mornings, I remember I was having an issue being slightly off center while unracking the bar. Today I didn’t have that problem. Once in a while, our Monster lite rack migrates a little since it’s not bolted to the floor, but that’s how we wanted it and why we got the one with feet on it.

By the time I was finished up in the gym, I was just pouring sweat.

Music for the lifting was Celtic Frost Creation.

We had another branch break off from the tree. Big enough to hurt someone potentially, but not nearly as big as the last one. That’s the third one in a month or so, all on fairly benign days. The tree can’t be gone soon enough.

Later on, when Molly got home, we ended up not doing our bro session today. I was just way too hot. We went to Little Dippers for ice cream though, and while that cooled me off a bit, I still didn’t want to do the longer bro shit.

I did do today’s WOD, which I was pleased with. One Hundred sandbag step-ups with 8 sandbag presses every minute on the minute went surprisingly well for me.

While the weighted step-ups are a real challenge for me, it’s neither the weight nor the step-ups that are tough for me. It’s the spacial awareness, especially stepping back off the box. As I get tired, I tend to step further back further because in the past my heels of caught the box early on in Crossfit doing non-weighted step-ups. I did it, though.

I completed the WOD in just under the goal time, even with my slower(er) and steady approach to the step-ups. My real goal for today was to complete the WOD without putting the sandbag down at all, and I did it.